A Holistic Approach to College Readiness & Success for Students & Parents
Stress! Anxiety!! Frustration!!!
….the words used by most students and parents as they reflect on their deepest struggles. Academic life coaching banishes those experiences AND restores joy to “family time”!
People are familiar, understand, and accept that professional athletes have coaches. The role of an athletic coach is to push the athlete to achieve optimum performance and to help them overcome obstacles on their path to achieving success.
Do you know someone who has worked with a personal trainer? If you do, then you’re probably familiar with how they push their client to work harder than they would on their own and that they tend to work harder even when they don’t want to.
As an academic life coach and personal development coach, I do the same with my clients. My role as a coach is to provide guidance, support, motivation, and most of all, accountability to help my clients become the most amazing version of themselves.
Why Does Your Child Need an Academic Coach?
Chances are that you’ve tried all sorts of ways to motivate or direct your child. And all too often you’ve probably found yourself frustrated, worried or even ready to give up on their future. As a mother myself, I’ve been there, too. It’s not fun.
As a life coach for students, I’m an outside person whose emotions are left at the door and my job is to hold the student’s agenda as the highest priority and to work with them to create action steps that will deepen their learning and lead to the outcomes they desire. The foundation of truly effective coaching is a coach’s respect for and commitment to coaching around what the student really values. One of the benefits of academic life coaching is that students are given an opportunity to direct their own learning and growth.
Academic Life Coaching helps students thrive and develop positive life skills through academic coaching that goes beyond youth mentoring. Students develop skills on how best to learn at school, be proactive, and exercise personal leadership. The skills that students learn in the present have an exponential impact on their future. Learning these skills helps students avoid common pitfalls and can drastically influence the upward trajectory of personal fulfillment and success.
Here’s what I believe: You love your child dearly and want the most amazing opportunities to come their way. You want for them to lead healthy and happy lives in successful careers. You know in your heart that what you’ve done thus far hasn’t brought the results you’ve intended.
When I work with students we use a proven 3 step, positive psychology model that focuses on learning and motivational styles, core life skills, as well as personal leadership and powerful communication.
Yes! I have a system and strategies tailored to the uniqueness of each student. Rest assured that this isn’t a “One size fits all” approach.
The 10-session academic coaching program is specifically designed to address the most challenging aspects of being a teenager, being successful academically, and gaining life skills to be effective and fulfilled as an adult.
Clients see results because of the process and individual accountability. Results don’t happen during one hour sessions. Transformation takes place with a consistent challenge, accountability, and support. With time and focus, change happens.
This program isn’t just for students. Parent(s) receive a program guide that allows them to follow along with their child’s work and progress. This works well as a tool to open conversation. Parents are also encouraged to join a larger academic coaching community where you’ll receive additional updates and support.
As for you, the loving parent, although you might feel a sense of loneliness and missing your child when they head off to college, you’ll rest easy knowing that you did all you possibly could to equip your child with the necessary skills to succeed in college and to live a fulfilled life.
This IS the right time to find a new way of doing things.
Schedule a complimentary 30 minute Clarity Call Here.
What Kind of Results Can You Expect?
You can expect that your will child thrives and develop positive life skills. As a coach, Joanne’s job is to ask thought-provoking questions, challenge unconscious assumptions, while being compassionately honest and holding the student accountable for their progress.
Imagine that the following will be alive and well for your child:
- Directing their own learning and growth.
- Creating action steps that will deepen their learning and lead to the outcomes they desire.
- Developing emotional intelligence, “grit”, life planning skills, and leadership abilities.
Top 4 Challenges Students & Parents Face
- Stress about grades
- Frustration about the quality of the relationship parents have with their child.
- Anxiety about the college application process and paying for college
- Parents also worry about if their child has all the life skills needed to succeed
The program is divided into 3 pieces:
1. Academic success systems
- Motivation: simple techniques parents can use to motivate middle and high school students
- Goal Setting: why some goals cause more stress, and how to set useful and effective goals
- Communication: key tools for positive parent/teen communication
2. Core life coaching principles, such as default perspectives, signature values, motivation and organization
- How to help middle and high school students reduce stress and reach optimal performance levels
- Fail-proof ways to lasting organization
3. Communication, leadership and the college application ~ Personal Leadership in the 21st Century
- Defines leadership in a way that excites and motivates students to live their best lives
- How students can best prepare themselves to face the challenges, and benefit from the opportunities the 21st-century offers
- Help students answer the two biggest questions they are asking themselves: Who am I? and How do I fit in?
- Steps parents can take to help future-proof their children
This may be just the right time to find a new way of doing things.
Over the past seven years, students who learned these skills in our program experienced:
93% Reported feeling more confident
82% Reported less stress
79% Reported improved communication with parents
100% Accepted to 1 or more of their top 3 college choices
0.81 Average GPA boost (of students who were not already earning a 4.0)